Sunday 19 January 2014

Verdict: Cola cookies

Well... it's a bit of a failure, but not an unmitigated one. Let's start with a positive: It actually tastes of cola. I'd been somewhat worried that the flavour would be entirely lost in the baking, but it does definitely come through. The cookies were slightly over done, partly because looking at them as they baked, the melted bits of cola bottles looked like uncooked dough, so I erred on the side of caution and baked it for a bit longer. That meant that the bits nearer the edges of the trays (actually, this was most of it really) went pretty hard and crunchy, while only the bits in the very centre of the tray were cookie-like in texture. I should say though, the hard and crunchy bits aren't unpleasant at all - the texture is very similar to brandy snaps - it's just not what I would have preferred. Interestingly, the cookies were very chewy as well (even the hard bits) - I suspect that the smaller bits of cola bottles melted and effectively became part of the dough.

So overall, they are pleasant, but definitely not quite what I had been aiming for. Before doing this, I had thought that cola cupcakes would work better (but I decided that I couldn't be bothered to do cupcakes, which is why they became cookies - or at least biscuits...), and I still think that that's probably true. Maybe I'll get around to trying it at some point, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment