Monday 22 November 2021

Baking on a school night?!

Well, I didn't manage to fit cake baking into the weekend, but amazingly I've managed to find time on a Monday night to bake! We're off for a Thanksgiving weekend away with Fiona's family at the weekend, so I thought I'd bake something to bring with us. I decided that the rum cake I made recently would probably go down well - I think the audience will appreciate the booziness - and most importantly it's incredibly easy to make with the stand mixer. I'm only making extremely small changes this time around - I used salted butter in the cake so omitted the salt completely, increased the amount of cornflour to 40g (as it was originally supposed to be), reduced the amount of baking powder to 7.5g and the amount of rum in the cake portion to 150g. There are also going to be a couple of kids coming, so I made the same quantity of rum syrup as before just for the main honeycomb shaped cake (so massively increasing the amount of syrup from last time), and about two thirds of that quantity of syrup without any rum for the round cake alone.

I'm not quite sure what happened this time around, but the cakes seem quite a lot more fragile straight out of the oven than last time. The honeycomb cake broke up quite badly getting it out of the tin.


The finished article - it looks just as obscenely decadent as it did last time around...

No comments:

Post a Comment