Friday 31 May 2024

Baking freebies

I've never used a shop-bought premade tart case before, but we recently given two of them. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it (or indeed, actually how to use it - like are you supposed to prebake the case before filling it?), but rooting around through the cupboard, I also found a jar of malt extract that I'd been given aaaaages ago, another thing that I wanted to do something with but again, didn't really know how to use it. So what better time than now? I found this very promising looking recipe for a malted chocolate banana tarte tatin, so I'm just following that recipe for the filling and pouring it into the cases.

Malted Chocolate Banana Tart
Ingredients
  • 150g Unsalted butter
  • 125g Malt extract
  • 50g Dark chocolate
  • 2 Sweet pastry tart cases (210g each)
  • 5 1/2 large, ripe bananas (around 1kg before peeling)*
  • Chopped, roasted hazlenuts
Method
  1. Heat the butter and malt extract in a frying pan until melted.
  2. Turn the heat up to high, bring to a simmer and simmer for about 30 seconds.
  3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
  4. Finely chop the chocolate and stir in the still hot mixture, stirring until smooth.
  5. Pour into the tart cases.
  6. Peel and slice the bananas lengthways, and arrange cut-side-down on the malt/butter/chocolate mixture.
  7. Bake at 200C for ~20 mins.
  8. Allow to cool slightly so that the pastry hardens a little before removing from the tray.
  9. Sprinkle hazlenuts on top.
*It was supposed to be 6 bananas, but I couldn't quite fit them into the cases!

Here they are about to go into the oven:
And straight out of it:
And a slightly better photo now that they're nearly set. I decided only to add hazlenuts to one of them initially, in case it turned out to be better without them.
As it turns out, the hazlenuts are definitely a good idea.
Overall, it's nice, but not quite as good as I thought it was going to be. I think that it could have done with longer in the oven - where the filling had cooked a bit more and started to caramelize, it turned absolutely lovely. And I'm not convinced that it needed the chocolate at all - I think it might have been more elegant and more interesting without it. But even still, it's pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment