Sunday 30 June 2024

Birthday brownies

It's Chris' 30th birthday today, and seeing as it's a milestone birthday, I thought I'd bake something for it and give it to him when I see him in the lab tomorrow. I thought I'd try one of those recipes that I'd heard so much about, but never quite got around to trying - Bravetart's brownies. The recipe is as close as I could get it, except (1) there's no vanilla extract, because I just somehow missed it when I was reading the recipe, (2) the instant espresso powder is substituted for ordinary instant coffee, (3) instead of a 9"x13" tin, I used a 9"x9" square tin and a 20cm round tin, (4) everything's scaled up a tiny bit (specifically because I happened to have 200g of chocolate available, and didn't want to have a stupidly small amount left over) and (5) I decided to add some blanched almonds to the pan for half of each tin because who doesn't like nuts in their brownies?!

Bravetart Glossy Fudge Brownies

Ingredients

  • 400g Butter
  • 200g Dark chocolate
  • 530g Granulated/caster sugar
  • 65g Brown sugar
  • 5g Salt
  • 7 Eggs
  • 1tsp Instant coffee powder
  • 150g Plain flour
  • 135g Cocoa powder
  • 100g Blanched almonds

Method

  1. Brown the butter by heating in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously until the popping stops and the butter is golden yellow and silent.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in chopped chocolate.
  3. Whisk sugars, salt, eggs and instant coffee in a stand mixer on medium-high speed until extremely thick and fluffy (about 8 minutes).
  4. Reduce speed to low and pour in the warm chocolate butter mixture.
  5. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
  6. Scatter blanched almonds over half of a lined tin.
  7. Pour batter tin and bake at 180C for 30 minutes/to internal temp of 96C).
  8. Allow to cool before slicing.
100g of blanched almonds is quite a lot when spread over such a small area!

This one is definitely not one that you'd want to do without a stand mixer. Here's the finished batter just before pouring into the tin. The photo doesn't really do justice to quite how dark and rich it looks.


And here they are, ready for the oven!

And straight from the oven - I think they look pretty darned gorgeous!



No comments:

Post a Comment