Saturday 24 October 2015

Verdict: Cinnamon rolls

In a word: Amazing. They say that the best seasoning is "hunger". After tasting these,  I'm starting to think that maybe butter and sugar might just give hunger a run for its money.

To give you an idea of quite how amazing these are, I had originally intended to take a photo partway through one of the rolls so that you could see the inside of it - but I just couldn't stop eating it, and devoured it instead. They're everything a cinnamon roll should be. Buttery, soft, buttery, sweet, buttery, a little gooey... did I mention buttery? Oh so good, but I've just eaten two in quick succession and they're so rich that I couldn't eat another. At least not quite yet. They're not in the slightest boozy (which makes me wonder if I might have been better off plumping the sultanas up in juice, rather than gin), and not nearly as sickly sweet as most cinnamon rolls are. The inner sections are, unsurprisingly, definitely better than the ends. Less obviously, the inside edges of the block are also better than the exposed edges - I had expected the edges to do some lovely caramelisation magic, but really you get that on the top of every roll, and the outer edges are just a bit drier rather than the wonderfully soft inners.

We'll have to wait and see how they are once they've cooled down, but straight from the oven, these are absolutely magical. Well worth the wait!

Update: Obviously, they're not as good when they've cooled, but they're still pretty darned good. I suspect they'll reheat passably in the oven, though I'm usually too lazy to bother...

Update 2: 20 seconds in the microwave reheats them beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment