Wednesday 30 November 2011

Verdict: My first sourdough loaf

I caved. I couldn't stand the temptation any more. So what's the verdict? In a word: Gorgeous! It was almost perfect. It had that lovely sourdough acidity--not as punchy as some sourdoughs that I've had before, but unmistakeable, gentle and still strong enough to be noticeable. And the crust was perfect - softish on the bottom, medium on the sides and perfectly crunchy on the top - crunchy but not hard. And the soft inside was chewy and satisfying. The only thing I would have changed about it would have been to let it prove for a bit longer. Just the tiniest hint more air on the inside would have taken it from a really excellent loaf to the-best-loaf-ever. Really, I think this is the best loaf of bread I've ever baked!

No comments:

Post a Comment