Thursday 9 July 2009

Verdict: Chocolate cherry fudge

There was (some) method to the madness - I had intended this batch of fudge to be Lonnie's birthday present (it was his birthday earlier in the week, but I'll be seeing him later today) and I didn't want to mention it yesterday on the off-chance that he saw it. But since I'll see him in about an hour's time, I think it's safe to announce it now...

Anyway, the fudge. As I suspected, the 50ml of Kirsch was a little too much, and it was barely set; outrageously soft really. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does make it rather difficult to handle. As far as alcohol content goes, I think it's nicely balanced - it's obviously alcoholic, but not overpoweringly so. But the big problem is that I am but a novice in fudge-making - it's gone grainy. It turns out that making fudge is rather a subtle art; the texture of fudge comes from very carefully controlled sugar crystal size. Too big, and the fudge becomes grainy and gritty. Too small and it's not really fudge. I just found quite a good guide here, so I might give it another go at some point in the future. For now, I think it's a failure, but not a bad failure - the fudge is still edible and is (just about) recognisable as fudge. But the recipe definitely shows promise (it's got a good taste, just not quite the right texture), so hopefully at some point in the future, I'll get it right!

2 comments:

  1. Really fascinating stuff - your batch does sound like it could taste pretty amazing, maybe not fudge, but great in its own right.

    Had a look at the science page and am dubious about the comment that you shouldn't beat it too long, as I think that should keep the grain size down. Too hard may cause premature crystallisation so I agree with that one.

    This is a recipe I like and think that this is one which science will come to the rescue to make the fudge perfect! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had my doubts about some of the things in that page too. But I've read similar warnings elsewhere, so while I think the reasons are quite possibly wrong, I suspect that they may be sensible warnings nonetheless.

    I'll have to see what Lonnie thought of it...

    ReplyDelete