Saturday 5 December 2009

The completion of the cake

Now that the cake's cooled down fully, I can finish it off! Here's the cherry gel before mashing (step 10).
The cake cut and stacked.And a little photo series of the cake being assembled.As you can see, spreading cream over the cherry layer was difficult and resulted in lots of the cherry being pushed out. I had loads of cherry gel left over, so I decided to add cherry to the second layer too.So for the second layer, I tried doing the cream first. Unfortunately, I forgot to sprinkle any kirsch over the middle portion of the cake though.Mistake! Turns out it's important to do the cherry before the cream - otherwise the liquid can't get through to the sponge and be absorbed, so it just runs everywhere.But never mind. On goes the top (end of step 16).
Sculpting of the cream over the sides (step 18). Working with the cream was reminiscent of applying tile grout...And covered with grated chocolate (step 19). If you're wondering how to do this, I actually picked up pinches of chocolate and threw them at the cake. It's messy, but it works fairly well!
I've got no piping bag and I don't know how to pipe anyway, so the "rosettes" are (pretty messy) quinelles of cream instead. The top also had more cherry gel as well as grated chocolate. But I think the end result looks pretty darned good, personally. There will be cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment