Tuesday 16 February 2010

Verdict: Devil's blood cake

Well, as experiments go, it was definitely an interesting one. The cake itself was certainly not bad, but not quite the roaring success that I'd hoped it would be. It was really lovely and light and the flavour of the wine did come through as I'd hoped it would. That said, the taste of wine was the tiniest, merest hint in the backdrop - if you didn't know there was most of a bottle of wine in it, you probably wouldn't have been able to say what the source of the flavour was. I think I used too much treacle - it overwhelmed the wine quite badly. Nonetheless, the cake has quite a distinctive flavour to it - unlike any other cake I've ever baked, that's for certain. Quite pleasant, but also slightly strange. The icing was too sweet for me by far - I'd forgotten that I don't actually like icing. But it would have made it look very pretty if I'd bothered spreading it properly! I'd say the cake overall was a qualified success!

3 comments:

  1. How can you forget you don't like icing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote would be to either do treacle or red wine then. Or if you mix them, make it treacle light and maybe use wine to make the icing instead of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot I didn't like icing because it's been so long since I've had an iced cake. Also I may have been fooled because my friend Teia sent me a lovely baking book for my birthday which had some /really/ pretty pictures of iced things in it.

    I think treacle and red wine is definitely a good combination, so it would be a shame not to have both. I think the answer is to cut down the amount of treacle and replace it with (much more neutral tasting) sugar instead. I like the red wine icing idea though - I might do this for something else at some stage!

    ReplyDelete