Friday 19 November 2010

Marbles...

I'm off kayaking this weekend, and I thought I'd try to ingratiate myself in advance to the people who will probably end up spending large chunks of their weekend pulling me out of the river. And what better way than by baking cake? It's got to be quick and easy though, so I've gone for a marble cake, taking the recipe out of The Baker.

Marble Cake
Ingredients
  • 185g Butter
  • 230g Caster sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1tsp Vanilla extract
  • 280g Plain flour
  • 3tsp Baking powder
  • 185ml Milk
  • 2tbsp Cocoa powder
Method
  1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
  2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
  3. Fold in the flour, baking powder and milk, alternating additions of dry ingredients with the milk.
  4. Divide the batter in two. Beat the cocoa powder in a bowl with a little milk to form a paste and add to half of the batter, combining thoroughly.
  5. Spoon the batter into a greased 1lb loaf tin, alternating spoonfuls of light and dark batter.
  6. Draw a skewer through the batter a few times to create the marbling.
  7. Bake at 180C for 40-60 minutes until cooked through.
Here's the cake in the tin (end of step 5).
And after marbling (end of step 6).
It came out of the oven slightly compressed, as I'd covered it with foil and baking paper in an effort to stop the stupid college oven grilling the top. It sort of worked - at least it's not burnt to a cinder on top!
It looks rather better when turned out of the tin though. The photo looks a bit more anaemic than the cake does in real life.
The marbling didn't work though. One day, I'll get it right, but today was not that day.I also baked a (half-quantities) flapjack to bring with me too. Slightly overcooked it, and then forgot that you have to let flapjacks cool in the tin before removing, or they disintegrate. Oops.


No comments:

Post a Comment