Sunday 13 February 2011

Verdict: Nuterocher cake

No, I didn't eat the cake I was supposed to give to Trisha - I finished and decorated one of the cupcakes in the same way to test. It was... well... frankly bad. No, actually, that's definitely far too harsh, but it certainly wasn't great. I think I've lost my touch through lack of practice - somewhere down the line, the cake went hard. I mean, really hard. I think it's a combination of the treacle and overcooking, but it was definitely hard. The cherry brandy did help soften it up a bit, and the hard bits were actually quite nice and chewy after a few bites, but it's definitely a bit of a workout for the jaw and not what I was aiming for! On the plus side though, the treacle flavour was wonderful - surprisingly powerful, given how little of it went in - and the chopped hazelnut/melted chocolate is a definite winner. The cherry brandy and treacle stop it being the Nutella/Ferrero Rocher combination I had initially intended, but the balance is actually rather good. The only real problem with the taste is that it's just a tiny little bit too sweet, but not horrendously, and I think I like my cakes to be a bit less sweet than most people anyway. It's good enough for me to give to Trisha, but not without some warning and a promise of a better cake. I think the best verdict is a mitigated failure though. I think I might bake her another one using a more standard sponge cake recipe and finishing it off in the same way - I think that would work wonderfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment