Sunday 25 September 2011

Verdict part 1: Galette des rois

While it's still warm straight from the oven, here are my thoughts. As expected, the puff pastry didn't quite puff up fully - but it definitely started to puff up. Better than I'd expected, and not too far off what I remember the pastry on the ones in bakeries in Paris being like. The frangipane doesn't seem sweet enough to me; I expect frangipane to be ludicrously sweet, like marzipan levels of sweetness, but this is much tamer in that respect. That might not be a bad thing, depending on your personal preference though. It's gorgeously rich, but there's something just not quite right about it. I can't quite put my finger on it and it's so close to the galettes I've had in France, but just not quite there. I think it'll be even better cold, so stay tuned for part 2 once it's cooled down. It's pretty darned good as it is though!

No comments:

Post a Comment