Friday 11 November 2011

RhubarbRhubarbRhubarb!

I like rhubarb :o). I'm having Jen and Julian over for dinner tonight to thank them for putting me up between tenancies for yet another year, and I was wondering what to do for dessert. And then I spotted rhubarb on the shelf when I went shopping for ingredients, so I think it's time to do another crumble!

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
Ingredients
For the filling
  • 300g Rhubarb
  • 300g Apples
  • 125g Caster sugar
  • ~1tsp Ground cinnamon
  • ~1tsp Ground ginger
  • ~1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
  • A decent slug of cherry brandy
For the topping
  • 120g Butter
  • 200g Plain flour
  • 25g Caster sugar
Method
  1. Chop the rhubarb into ~20mm chunks.
  2. Core and dice the apples.
  3. Grease an ovenproof dish and pour the rhubarb and apple chunks into it.
  4. Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cherry brandy over the fruit.
  5. Rub the butter and flour together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
  6. Heap the topping over the fruit layer.
  7. Sprinkle the sugar over the top.
  8. Bake at 180C for ~45-60 mins until golden.
Okay, it's just fruit in a bowl, but don't the colours look amazing?!I think I've made the same mistake I always make with crumbles - mixing the flour and butter together too thoroughly. We shall see...Looks good!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian,

    1. The addition of cherry brandy is inspired!
    2. Does the dish need to be greased? I've never done this before and never had any difficulty removing the food.
    3. I like to replace 50g of the flour with porridge oats for more texture.

    ReplyDelete