Sunday 8 November 2020

Quick and easy

I stumbled upon this recipe from Serious Eats earlier, and it looked intriguing - by which I really mean that it appealed to my lazy side. Active time 10 minutes, total time 25 minutes, and to be entirely done in a single bowl? Sounds good to me! This is roughly 3/4 proportions, but with a bit more flour than suggested in the original recipe, because sticking accurately to their amounts gave me a batter rather than a dough.

Quick dark brown sugar biscuits

Ingredients

  • 150g Butter
  • 210g Soft dark brown sugar
  • 15g Caster sugar + 40g for coating
  • 3g Salt
  • 1 Egg
  • 1tbsp Vanilla extract
  • 250g Plain flour
  • 1tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2tsp Bicarbonate of soda

Method

  1. Melt the butter.
  2. Mix in the sugars and salt.
  3. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
  4. Stir in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
  5. Divide dough into small golf-ball sized pieces.
  6. Pour the sugar for coating into the now-empty bowl and roll the pieces of dough in it to coat.
  7. Squash the dough balls to flatten slightly, and place on lined baking trays.
  8. Bake at 180C for ~10mins.

Here they are ready for the oven. I know they're going to merge together - but I'm too lazy to spread them out over a third tray (after all, it's laziness that got me this far, so I might as well roll with it!).

Yup, they merged together. I don't care though - I think they actually form quite a pleasing geometric pattern like this. They look pretty good, don't they?



I added a little too much salt, so they came out ever so slightly salty - not awfully so though, and actually the slight saltiness adds a bit of interest. But the biscuits themselves are actually pretty good! In terms of tastiness-per-effort, these are definitely a big success!


No comments:

Post a Comment