Sunday 13 February 2022

A well-baked tart?

I saw this post on Reddit last week, and decided that baking a bakewell tart sounded like an excellent idea. And so now I'm doing just that. Sometimes there's no more backstory to my bakes than that!

Bakewell Tart

Ingredients

For the pastry

  • 140g Plain flour
  • 7g (~1tbsp) Caster sugar
  • 2g Salt
  • 70g Butter
  • ~2tbsp Cold water

For the filling

  • 125g Caster sugar
  • 125g Butter
  • 1 Egg
  • 30g Plain flour
  • 125g Ground almonds
  • 90g (~3tbsp) Black cherry jam*
  • 25g Flaked almonds

Method

  1. Rub the flour, sugar, salt and butter for the pastry together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  2. Add just enough water to form a dough.
  3. Roll out and line a greased pie dish**.
  4. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  5. Prick the base with a fork, fill with baking beans.
  6. Bake blind at 180C for ~15 minutes, remove the baking beans and bake for a further ~5 mins.
  7. Cream the butter and sugar for the filling together.
  8. Beat in the egg.
  9. Mix in the flour and ground almonds.
  10. Spread the jam generously over the base of the pie dish, then fill with almond mixture.
  11. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
  12. Bake at 160C for ~40mins, then increase temperature to 200C for ~5 minutes to brown.
  13. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pie dish and leaving to cool fully.
*Yes, I know raspberry is probably most traditional, but (a) it's what I had in the fridge and (b) cherry jam is tastier than raspberry jam anyway.
**For reference, my pie dish is around 16cm diameter (quite small) - but could easily be anywhere between 15cm and 18cm depending on how you choose to measure it.

I can hardly believe it - for once, I actually got the quantities of both pastry and filling right! Here's the tart about to go into the oven.

Gosh it looks good fresh from the oven! It wobbles rather a lot more than I had expected though - I'm hoping that it sets properly when it cools. I'm a little concerned that there might not be enough egg and/or flour in the frangipane.

I don't think I needed to worry. By the time I turned it out from the dish, it had firmed up nicely. It released incredibly easily too!

And obviously, I didn't have the patience to wait for it to cool, so I dived straight in while it was still hot. Which is a terrible mistake actually - you can see that the jam started leaking out and warm frangipane isn't actually as nice as it is once it's cold. But just look at it!


First impressions are pretty good on the whole. The pastry could have been a bit shorter, but it's not tough either. I definitely oversalted it slightly though - not horrendously so, but you can taste the salt which isn't ideal. For the filling, it's hard to tell while the frangipane is still warm, but I think there might be a little too much butter in the filling, and I'm also not quite sure I got the jam:frangipane ratio right. We will have to wait and see once it's actually cooled!

Edit: The verdict once it cooled was pretty similar to what I thought beforehand. The oversalted pastry was less noticeable, but the frangipane definitely seemed too buttery - perhaps a little less butter and maybe a little more flour would have helped. Fiona and I both agreed that it could have done with a bit more jam too. I think perhaps a slightly thicker pastry would have been nice as well, and would have helped offset the softness of the frangipane. But overall, it's pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment