Sunday 11 September 2022

My First Makgeolli Experiment - Day 9

Okay, so I forgot to do an update last night, but that's okay, because I decided that it was time to filter and bottle. It had about 7 1/2 days to ferment before bottling - I have no idea if I'm bottling late or early really; it's been pretty warm over the fermentation period (sitting in the 20-25C range for the most part).

For comparison, here's what the jar looked like just before I filtered it out. You could still hear some bubbling when disturbed, so I might have bottled it relatively early.


Filtering the brew was a right faff. I strained it through four layers of cheesecloth into a mixing bowl, and kept squirting it through gaps in the top where I drew the edges together, so I ended up having to strain it all twice. I think I might need to go and buy a proper filtering bag...

After all that, it made about 1 1/4 litres of makgeolli concentrate.

Right now, it tastes very sour, and it's room temperature so it's really hard to assess the taste properly - but it's definitely pretty alcoholic! I'll chill it down in the fridge and give it a proper taste tonight when it's cold. I'm hoping that the taste will mature over the next couple of days too, and maybe pick up a bit of carbonation - but we will see!

[Edit] Quick update at the end of the day, after the makgeolli extract had had time to chill: It's a heck of a lot better when cold! It's still very, very sour - so much so that I suspect that I might need to add a bit of sugar to make it palatable - but it definitely has some of the taste/texture that I expect from makgeolli. I still haven't given it a proper go yet (I just had the tiniest little taste), and I'm hoping that it might mellow a bit and gain a bit of carbonation over the next few days. I wouldn't say that the tiny taste I had of it was nice, but it's not too bad either, and I think it's recognisable as makgeolli, so that's a definite success at least. I'm cautiously optimistic at least. We'll see how it turns out in a few days' time!

No comments:

Post a Comment