Friday 16 January 2009

Verdict: The Illegitimate Lovechild...

It turned out pretty darned well actually. The cake was lovely and moist, not too rich and not greasy either. I think it could have done with a little more sugar in the cake mix, but not everyone agreed - the majority thought it was fine as is. It definitely could have done with more Nutella - I think in the sandwich layer rather than in the cake mixture though. The Nutella was barely noticeable. Similarly, the nutmeg was completely overpowered by chocolate, but I daresay it probably still helped with the overall flavour even if it couldn't be tasted directly. One thing I would probably change for next time is the Kirsch actually - I think a bit of sugar in the Kirsch to sweeten the cherries would have helped quite a bit. It probably wouldn't have been an issue if the cherries had been tinned in syrup, but these were just a little too overpowering!
All in all, a good start to the baking year!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. Looks tasty.

    Photo of the slice of cake is a bit unfocussed though. You're not allowed to slag off any of the photos in my cookbooks unless your food photography improves somewhat :)

    ReplyDelete