Tuesday 24 March 2009

An Elizabeth David chocolate cake

It's Helen's birthday tomorrow. Time for me to try my hand at (a version of) the legendary Elizabeth David Flourless Chocolate Cake. Countless variations of this are available online, but here is the variant that I used. I would have added a shot of rum and a spoonful of strong, black coffee to the mix in step 2, but I had no rum and my coffee making stuff was in the lab.

An Elizabeth David Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
  • 200g Dark chocolate
  • 150g Caster sugar
  • 150g Butter
  • 100g Ground almonds
  • 5 Eggs, separated
Method
  1. Put the chocolate, sugar and butter in a double boiler and melt together.
  2. Stir in the ground almonds.
  3. Beat in the egg yolks.
  4. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture.
  5. Pour into a cake tin and bake for 45 minutes at 180C/Gas Mark 4.
  6. Allow to cool fully before removing from tin.
And here is the finished cake! As you can see, it's fallen somewhat on cooling, though I did expect that. But it looks pretty good I think. I might even dust it with icing sugar if I have any...

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing, I'm going to try this one soon. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete