Tuesday 17 March 2009

Maltesers and garlic? Funny combination...

I promised my labmates quite some time ago that I'd make them cheesecake. Since Inés is leaving Oxford soon and James and Salva are off to Austria just before she goes, now seemed like a sensible time for me to make it. Unfortunately, just as I was about to start making the filling, I discovered that instead of buying cream cheese, I'd managed to buy cream cheese with garlic and herbs. I decided that that probably wouldn't go terribly well with the rest of the cheesecake, so I'll have to go get some cream cheese tomorrow and finish it then. Anyway, in the meantime, here's the recipe as I intend it to be.

Malteser Cheesecake
Ingredients
  • 10 Digestive biscuits
  • 20 Maltesers for the base
  • 70g Butter
  • 200g Soft cheese
  • 90g Caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 150ml Double cream
  • 10 Maltesers to decorate
Method
  1. Crush the digestive biscuits and Maltesers for the base.
  2. Melt the butter and mix with the crushed biscuit/malteser mix. Press firmly into a lined loose-bottomed cake tin and refrigerate to set.
  3. Cream the cheese, sugar and vanilla together.
  4. Whip the double cream in a separate bowl then fold into the cheese mixture.
  5. Spoon over the biscuit base and decorate with crushed Maltesers.
  6. Refrigerate until set.
The base is done at least:Stay tuned for the next installment of the exciting adventures of cheesecake!

2 comments:

  1. You spanner.

    At least you didn't actually use the garlic cheese, I half expected you to wonder "how bad can it be?" and just throw it in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very nearly did, but I opened the tub and it smelled quite distinctly of garlic. Then I realised that noone else would have eaten it and I would have been left with a garlic cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete