Saturday 11 September 2010

A quick and easy Kugelhopf

I wasn't going to bake at all today, but Kenny put the idea into my head earlier and it just sort of stuck. But I'm moving this weekend, so it's got to be quite a quick and easy recipe. As you may recall, I bought a Bundt tin a while ago. It's not had nearly as much use as it deserves though, so I thought I'd bake a nice and easy Kugelhopf (Incidentally, does anyone know the difference between a Bundt tin and a Kugelhopf tin? As far as I know, they're basically the same, so if anyone knows, I'd be interested to find out!).

This is based on this recipe, but either I screwed up the conversion to sensible units, Kugelhopf is nothing like I think it is or the recipe is really quite rubbish. The recipe below is approximately what I did, which is very different from the recipe I was cribbing - my recipe is far from ideal I'm sure, but it should be good enough...

Quick and Easy Kugelhopf
Ingredients
  • 500g Plain flour
  • 1 sachet Fast-action dried yeast
  • 40g Caster sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 240ml Milk
  • 115g Butter (I only had 85g butter in stock, so I substituted the rest with olive oil)
  • 75g Sultanas
Method
  1. Mix the flour, yeast, sugar, eggs and milk into a dough.
  2. Work in the butter.
  3. Knead for a few minutes.
  4. Knead in the sultanas.
  5. Put into a well-greased Kugelhopf tin, cover and allow to rise for ~1hr.
  6. Bake at 180C for ~50mins until the top (i.e. the base of the cake) is brown.
  7. Remove from tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Here's the Kugelhopf ready for rising (middle of step 5).
And here it is after rising and ready for the oven (end of step 5).Out of the oven.Look, it came out of the tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment