Monday 20 December 2010

Bake off!

I'm home for the break, and we're having a whole roast suckling pig! The only trouble is, we don't have any nice fresh bread. So my brother, my mum and I had a bread bakeoff - I made up double quantities of the standard bread mixture and which we split three ways and each kneaded our own dough. We'll see who makes the best loaf!

Here are (from left to right) Andrew's loaf, mum's loaf and my loaf, ready for the oven.And now, straight from the oven (Left to right: Mine, Andrew's, mum's).They all look rather good, but that doesn't answer the big question: Who bakes the best loaf? Well, mum's was a bit denser and heavier than the other two, so that was eliminated from the running fairly quickly, but mine and Andrew's were pretty much neck and neck. I think my loaf won by a whisker - it had a slightly better, chewy texture in the middle, and the crusts were virtually indistinguishable - but it won only by the narrowest of margins. But most importantly, all three loaves were much, much better than any mass-produced loaf of bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment