Saturday 4 December 2010

Verdict: Lebkuchen

It's really tricky baking with the crappy college ovens. There's no real indication of the actual oven temperature and the fact that everything's half-baked and half-grilled really makes things difficult. That's my excuse anyway - the Lebkuchen were really overcooked. They should be soft, but mine mostly came out crunchy. Not bad, but not quite what I was hoping for. The taste is actually pretty good - I initially thought that the spice balance wasn't quite right, but actually the more I eat, the more I think that it's actually pretty close to the real thing. And the few which did end up soft and chewy really do taste a lot like Lebkuchen are supposed to taste. I'm undecided as to whether I prefer the iced ones or the plain ones; it does work well either way. I'm pretty pleased with this really - they're really good especially when you consider how easy they are - I'll have to try baking it again sometime when I have a better oven available!

No comments:

Post a Comment