Sunday 6 March 2011

Verdict: Jewish apple cake

Put quite simply, it's a good cake. The sponge is nice and moist, a little on the dense side, but not too bad. The chunks of apple are absolutely gorgeous, slightly tart still, but with a wonderful texture. Like most apple cakes, it's screaming out for custard or ice cream - unusually, for this particular cake I think I'd go with vanilla ice cream actually. The sweetness is about right for me, which means it's probably not quite sweet enough for most people - but that'd be fixed by the ice cream I think. The cinnamon is a bit too faint in my opinion, and perhaps a tiny little bit of nutmeg would have been good, but overall it's a pretty darned good cake. It's not going to win any awards, but this cake'll go down well with anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment