Thursday 31 August 2023

Birthday cinnamon rolls

It's Rich's 75th this week, and there's a big party planned for the weekend. I said that I'd bake something for it, and a request was made for cinnamon rolls, so that's what I'm doing! I'm doing a double-batch this time around. It's essentially the normal recipe as far as ingredients goes - I used ~120ml spiced rum and ~180ml white rum to soak the raisins, and substituted a small amount of the caster sugar in the filling with dark soft brown sugar (mostly to use up the bag of it). I also ran out of raisins (which, let's face it, are basically the same as sultanas anyway), but discovered that cheap mixed fruit is just a mixture of raisins and mixed peel, so I spent a ridiculous 10 minutes picking raisins out of a bag of mixed fruit to make up the difference.

The real change to the recipe this time around is that, in order to make the timings work, I'm going for an overnight proof. After forming and cutting the rolls, I've popped each of the trays of cinnamon rolls in a bin bag to prevent them drying out, and put them in the fridge. I'll get them out of the fridge in the morning, and give them a few (hopefully around 3) hours to warm up to room temperature, then egg wash, bake and finish as normal. Fingers crossed that this works!

------

And a quick addition from the next day - looks like it wasn't harmed by the overnight proof. They got just shy of 3 hours at room temperature before going into the oven, and while I would have liked to have got a little bit more of a rise before they went in, they're not looking bad. Here they are post egg-wash about to go in:

Straight from the oven, they're looking as good as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment