Monday 25 January 2010

Verdict revisited: Cheer up chocolate cake

Okay, it's slightly odd I know, but I think that this cake needs a second verdict. I had a really awful cold when I baked the cake and tried it the first time around - two days on now, my cold is a bit better, which means I can taste the cake a bit more and actually, it's a heck of a lot better than I had thought! The cake is, I think, one of the best cakes I've ever made - it's nicely balanced and doesn't really need any more sweetness as I had previously thought (though equally, it probably wouldn't hurt it). When eaten cold, the chocolate chips in the cake are much more noticeable and give some lovely texture, and the cake is still wonderfully rich but not sickly. The treacle is marvellous - not immediately noticeable, but it definitely gives the flavour a depth that it wouldn't otherwise have had. The two days of sitting there haven't hurt it much either - it's slightly drier, but not horrendously so. I'm really, really pleased with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment