Friday 11 September 2009

ANZAC biscuits

If you've not tried ANZAC biscuits before, then you're missing out. I came across them about two years ago in shop-bought form and immediately decided that they're magical things. Time to try baking them myself! I've used this recipe from the BBC Good Food website, though the variations between different recipes are rather minor.

ANZAC Biscuits
Ingredients
  • 85g Dessicated coconut
  • 85g Oats
  • 100g Plain flour
  • 100g Caster sugar
  • 100g Butter
  • 1tbsp Golden syrup
  • 1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
  • 1tbsp Boiling water
Method
  1. Mix the coconut, oats, flour and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Melt the butter and stir in the golden syrup.
  3. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the boiling water and add to the butter.
  4. Mix the bicarbonate of soda solution with the butter/golden syrup mix.
  5. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix, adding water if necessary.
  6. Spoon out onto a tray and bake at 180C/Gas Mark 4 for 10-12 minutes until golden.
  7. Allow to cool on a wire rack - or better yet, enjoy straight from the oven!
As you can see, my mixture is rather dry - I wasn't sure what the consistency was supposed to be like, so I thought I can always add more water later. It seems okay though. This is the first batch about to go into the oven - just under half of the mixture.And straight from the oven (The photo really doesn't do it justice!).

6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried ANZAC biscuits (hint hint).

    If you swap out the butter for oil, your recipe is vegan - next time you're in the same situation as before, how about a mahoosive birthday biscuit instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't you?! They are wonderful things. I'll try to bake you some for next time I see you then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, Anzac biscuits. A lovely treat I'd never had until I moved from Texas to New Zealand, and you're right, they're wonderful. One of the better culinary delights of the antipodes.

    You might oughtta wanna try pulverizing them and using them as the base for cheesecake or lemon squares. It'd probably make a wonderful crust for french silk pie, as well.

    BTW hi, nice to meet you. I was looking for "engineers cookbook" and your blog was first on the oracle of google.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'd not heard of French silk pie before (but Google explains all) - it does look good. I may have to try that soon, especially seeing as I've just bought a flan ring (o:.

    And lovely to meet you too. You have the additional distinction of being the first person to stumble across my blog randomly to leave a comment, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, no worries! Have you found the blog cookingforengineers yet? If not, you'd probably enjoy the heck out of it. (I'm not an engineer, btw...worse. I'm a surveyor.)

    If you're making australasian desserts, have you ever made Pavlova? That is just brilliant and genius and it's the best thing ever to be made of aereated coagulated protein and custard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know it was from Australasia, but yes, I have a couple of times. Usually when I'm using egg yolks for a cake or something and don't know what to do with the egg whites. I also always forget quite how hard doing meringue by hand is and tend to regret it halfway through...

    ReplyDelete