Thursday 17 September 2009

Chocolate rum truffles

I like truffles. In case you haven't noticed already. I think they make marvellous presents and no one in their right minds doesn't like them (unless of course they're allergic). And so I thought I'd make some for Anita, and as I'm visiting Lizzie next week, I'll bring her some too. Time to make a double-batch!

Chocolate Rum Truffles
Ingredients
  • 400g Dark chocolate (50% cocoa)
  • 300ml Double cream
  • 1tbsp Vanilla extract (yes, that is a tablespoon)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Dark rum
  • Cocoa powder
  • Icing sugar
  • Chopped hazelnuts
  • 100g Very dark chocolate (85% cocoa)
  • 100g Very dark chocolate with orange oil
Method
  1. Scald the cream and pour over the 50% chocolate
  2. Stir until the chocolate has all melted and the mixture is homogenous (microwave with care for 10 seconds at a time if necessary)
  3. Add the vanilla and rum and mix well
  4. Refrigerate to set
  5. Form into truffles and return to fridge
  6. Cover with cinnamon, icing sugar, chopped hazelnuts, melted high-cocoa chocolate or combinations of these
  7. Refrigerate until set
Unsurprisingly, you can't really taste the vanilla or the rum in the ganache - I was being somewhat cautious with the quantities, so if you want to be able to taste them, you'll have to add more. As always, I am sure it took longer than last time to make them! Don't underestimate how much time truffles will suck up...

No comments:

Post a Comment