Friday 2 April 2010

Verdict: Pineapple buns

Well, the verdict is definitely positive. It's not quite as I remember the ones that you can buy in Chinatown, but there's a distinct resemblance. The inside is very much like a slightly sweet bread - actually, as bread I would have been very pleased with it; it's delightfully chewy and has a lovely texture. As pineapple buns go though, I think it's a little too chewy. The coating is crunchy, which is also very pleasant, but not as the bought ones are. I think the coating is also a little too sweet and a little too rich - perhaps halving the amount of condensed milk or even just getting rid of it entirely would be the way to go. But overall, I'm pretty pleased with these - they rose beautifully and (as I hope you agree) they look absolutely gorgeous!

[Edit]My flatmate Kenny (who is from Hong Kong) says that the coating is actually pretty authentic. So that's quite a good bit of praise![/Edit]

No comments:

Post a Comment