Sunday 2 August 2020

A Danish dream

It's Danish week! I'd never heard of this cake before, but it looks both easy and tasty, so definitely worth a try! It's this recipe.

Danish Dream Cake (Drømmekage)
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 3 Eggs
  • 250g Caster sugar
  • 1tsp Vanilla extract
  • 50g Butter
  • 200ml Milk
  • 250g Plain flour
  • 2tsp Baking powder
For the topping:
  • 125g Butter
  • 50ml Milk
  • 160g Dark soft brown sugar
  • 40g Caster sugar*
  • 100g Dessicated coconut
Method
  1. Whisk the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
  2. Melt the butter (for the cake).
  3. Stir in the melted butter and milk (for the cake).
  4. Stir in the flour and baking powder until smooth.
  5. Pour into a lined tin and bake at 200C for ~25 mins.
  6. Heat the butter, milk and sugar for the topping in a saucepan and simmer for ~1 min.
  7. Stir in the dessicated coconut.
  8. Spread the topping over the cake and bake for a further 10 mins.
  9. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
*Bet you can't guess what happened here...

Something tells me that I might have added a bit too much baking powder...

Sometimes when a cake has an uneven top, you can level it off using the topping. This was definitely not one of those times!

Slight spillage in the oven. I'm very glad that I had the oven liner in there!


My word though, look at that topping! It reminds me a lot of ANZAC biscuits (sweet, buttery and coconutty - I guess it makes sense). It smells incredible!

Nom I say!

I was super impressed by this cake. Reading the recipe, I thought that the cake part sounded really boring, and I assumed that the topping would be the only interesting part. In reality the topping is lovely, but far too sweet on its own, and is nicely offset by the cake. You wouldn't want a more interesting cake as the base. It's a really nicely balanced recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment