Friday 28 August 2020

Vegan cookies

To me, vegan baking is really, really hard - eggs are just a magic ingredient. They bind mixtures, give structure, stop things from drying out too much - they're by far the hardest thnig to substitute out successfully. It's the last week of the lockdown baking group that I've been (occasionally) participating in, and so I'm going to give it a shot - this is actually from last week's choice, but I meant to do it and didn't manage to get around to it, so there you go. It's this recipe, essentially unchanged.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

  • 125g Coconut oil
  • 100g Caster sugar
  • 150g Soft dark brown sugar
  • 125g Coconut milk
  • 1tsp Vanilla extract
  • 275g Plain flour
  • 1tsp Baking powder
  • 1/4tsp Bicarbonate of soda
  • 200g Chocolate chips

Method

  1. Mix the coconut oil and sugars together.
  2. Beat in the coconut milk and vanilla.
  3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to form a thick batter.
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  6. Form into plum sized balls and bake for 12-15 minutes at 180C.
  7. Allow to cool slightly before removing to a wire rack.
Batch 1 fresh from the oven. The liners got a bit rucked up when I put the trays into the oven, so some of the cookies are a bit misshapen.


Batch 2 about to go in while batch 1 cools in the background



They're pretty good, though I think they're a little too sweet and have quite a bit too much chocolate in them - the balance just isn't quite right. But they're certainly nice, particularly the crisp, crunchy bits around the edge. Slightly overbaked is definitely better than slightly underbaked for these cookies in my opinion. Not bad overall, but I don't think I'm going to be adding them to my regular repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment