Tuesday 11 August 2020

Advances in automation

As of this weekend, I now have a breadmaker (thanks Paul!). Obviously baking bread in a breadmaker doesn't count as "baking" for the purposes of going on the blog, but I tried it out for the first time today, and thought that at least was worth a note.

So how was it? Well I followed the basic white bread recipe in the manual and... well... it's not great. It's not terrible either, and certainly for the 5 minutes or so of active time that this required, it's really pretty darned good, but discounting the ease of it all and judging solely on the quality of the output, it's not great. It's a bit dense, a bit close and most definitely too sweet. The latter part should be easy enough to fix I'd imagine, but the texture seems a lot like an under developed gluten structure, which might mean that the dough doesn't get kneaded sufficiently in the machine. I'll definitely have to have a play around with it to see if I can do better, but it's also nice to see that I'm not that easily replaced by a machine :o).

No comments:

Post a Comment